My idea is to travel the world, by any means possible, but with the big exception of never ever using any commercial flights… ever.
It’s hard to pin point exactly what it was that made me decide to want to travel this way, rather it was a combination of a lot of reasons over the years that contributed to the idea.
Things worth mentioning are:
- The shocking documentary “Snakes on a Plane“, that highlighted both the aviation industries inability to handle a potential snake outbreak let alone prevent it. Thank god for Samuel L. Jackson.
- I’ve still never fully forgiven the Australian Government and Tullamarine Airport for attempting to compulsorily acquire the home of the Kerrigans and the rest of the residents living on 3 Highview Crescent, Coolaroo
- It’s said that for every flight taken one penguin dies and I don’t want to contribute to the current peng-demic.
- Due to the difference in air pressure, flying actually makes people more prone to farting.
- A drunk witch doctor in the Australian outback told me not to.
On a slightly more serious note…
Why I do things without Flying
It all kinda just evolved, firstly from a few simple drunken proclamations of over confident ambitions between me and a friend. Then into the adventurous yet slightly naive plan to travel from Australia to London in the U.K. without flying. Now it has began, I’ve decided why stop there? might as well attempt to complete a full around the world loop.
Mostly for the sake of adventure and the pure challenge of it. I feel with the ease of travel in the 21st century it has become extremely hard to earn the ‘adventurer’ title of the old days. One day in the future though, I hope to be considered as such, but admittedly I still have a long way to go.
That said, this journey is no race, I am in no way rushing to complete any part just to be finished and to be able to say “I did this”. I find that sort of travel equally as dumb as flying from A to B to C to say “I’ve seen this”. Rather, by eliminating the A to B of flying it opens a lot more opportunities to experience the things beyond what is presented at the glossy centre of tourism. The unplanned random encounters and random events between destinations is what I enjoy most.
I have a natural curiosity of all things foreign to me, different lifestyles, different cultures, different ways of thinking, different landscapes etc. I hope to understand the world around me and the vast variety of people in it. This journey is as much an adventure of random stories as it is a story of the evolution of myself (massive lame cliché I know, sorry).
I am documenting through written stories and videos the things that make me laugh, the things that make me think and simply the things that I find awesome in the world while I slowly travel this big bloody planet. You can take what you will from it. Hopefully you will realise (like I have) how awesome the world and the people on it can be…
I think Jackie Moon says it best…
Sign up and join the Lost Aussies Newsletter to not miss an update of my journey around the world without flying. Subscribers of this community get special access to extra randomness and inside information. I will also personally respond to any questions, both serious and humorous, when possible. Oh, and no spam, ever. Honest.
To see an over view of my trip and where I am right now… Click Here.